Best mic suggestions

All things microphone related - CB mics, studio mics, equalizers, mixers, etc...
Wiring, hookup, and application assistance too!
WWPDX MEMBER

Best mic suggestions

Post by 2350 »

Hi,Looking for some expert opinions on the best hand mic to use mobile.I would be using it on my 95t2 with widend audio which is why I'm looking for something with wider freq.response.Also it will be going in a diesel truck so if I could find 1 with noise cancelling or 1 that doesn't pick up a lot of background noise but still has low end freq.response
that would be great.T hanks in advance!
JesseJamesDallas
WWPDX MEMBER

Re: Best mic suggestions

Post by JesseJamesDallas »

IMO, specially since you said this would be used in a diesel-wagon, a Ranger SRA 198 would fit the bill! It's NOT a power Mic, but rather a noise-canceling Mic that's built like a tank! (and almost as heavy!)

You won't find a better noise canceling Mic on the market... :wink:
You're never too old to learn something stupid...
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 2350 »

Thanks JJD.It just so happens that I have a ranger mic around.Just waiting for someone to help me with an audio check!
While we're at it,does the ranger have a wider bandwidth than an astatic 636l or d104m6.I realize this isn't exactly apples to apples but just what I have sitting around at the moment.

73s,2350
JesseJamesDallas
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by JesseJamesDallas »

Not really sure what you mean on a wider bandwidth... It's not a tinnie sounding Mic by any means. And "may" sound a little muffled if you have a real deep voice... The first ones that came out a few years ago were real bad about sounding muffled, but Ranger went in and added a resister and cap that fixed that problem. It for the most part is just a clean sounding Mic. About the only draw-back with them is you have to get real close and personal with the lip guard and have your Mic Gain wide open to be herd sometimes... I use to use one in my route van all the time because of all the back ground noise from the truck, and never had a problem being herd. (course I also had a 2x6 davemade in-line)

I always liked the Road King 56's, but the Newer ones I always had problems with the wires breaking in the connectors, and I just never really liked the "feel" of the 636's...IMO the 636's just seem like they are made of cheap-plastic.

But the SRA 198's by Ranger just seem to feel and sound more like a higher quality Mic than most of the other brands at or near the same price range...(you can find the SRA 198's on ebay all day long under $30)

Another Mic which IMO ranks at the top would be the RF Limited Extreme 2018...This Mic is a power mic/ noise canceling Mic, and echo Mic all in one...Problem is...I think they have been discontinued...
You're never too old to learn something stupid...
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 2350 »

Roger that!Thanks so much for the input.I did the Goldfinger mod to my radio and need a amic thatll make the most of it.Definately will try out the Ranger mic tho!
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

As far as non-amplified mics go, the 636 and Road King 56 both respond much lower than most any Cobra or other stock mics. Whenever I'm testing a widened radio, I always make a gate with a 636, a regular Cobra coffin stock mic and a M+3 mobile power mic. As I always do this test I can use it to gauge if I like the conversion.
Another stock mic I have found to respond to lows is the older Magnum ones from the 90's to early 2000's radios. The Magnum mic has a lot more output than the 636 or Road King so is louder and more sensitive.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 2350 »

Thanks for all the input guys!Just need to find the time to try some different mics
73s to all!
Daddylonglegs-927
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Daddylonglegs-927 »

I just had to post on this one;

I've tried alot of different mics here myself; time and time again this mic has always done the best for me on Galaxy's, Ranger..etc..

Amazon.com: Workman CM4 Superstar CB Radio Microphone: Sports ...

cheap!

DLL
Daddylonglegs
WWPDX 927
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 2350 »

Thanks for the reply 927.The mic you suggested is definitely cheap enough and worth a shot.Might pick one up an try it.Like I said I'm just in search of something that'll make use of hi-fi mods I've done to my radio.I haven't tried a workman yet so I guess there's only one way to find out!

73s
rubicon express
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by rubicon express »

I really like the RF limited CR 575 mics. Not a noise canceling mic by design, however it has adjustable tone control to help reduce over Tiney, or over bassey voices. They sound pretty good. My other favorite choice was the Vintage Chrome mobile D104s. The new/current ones dont sound the same and seem to suffer from RF shielding, or should I say, lack of.....
Broadcasting from the NWC. In audio county!
Skullcracka through and through.
Operates radio station x
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

Hello Rubicon!
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

Return to “Microphones & Mic Wiring”