shure sm58

All things microphone related - CB mics, studio mics, equalizers, mixers, etc...
Wiring, hookup, and application assistance too!
WWPDX MEMBER

shure sm58

Post by 2388 »

anyone use this mic ?Is it good for radio use ?or what mic do you like better in the $100 range
Hate ta type and can't spell that's why I talk on the radio. hehehehe!
Goldfinger
Site Maintenance

Post by Goldfinger »

If you are wanting to run rack gear or Pro Tools line injected, an SM-58 works great. That is what mic Boomhauer uses on his base with Pro Tools and he sounds smooth.
wwpdx
wwpdx.com

WWPDX MEMBER

mic

Post by 2388 »

Thanks, I got one seems to be verry well built hope it sounds as nice as it looks! :)
Rickety Bones
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Rickety Bones »

When I first got into the Hi-Fi arena, someone recommended a Heli mic to me. I was unsure really what was the best and started looking into a way to determine exactly how to tell the difference. Besides buying and trying I really could not find a way to really tell the difference. So I did the next best thing, I went to Google Images and searched for "AM broadcast studios" I figured the real commercial AM stations were using the best on the market. This is where I ran across the electrovoice RE-20 and the Sure SM-7, they were in the 400 dollar range, to expensive for me, so I asked my local audio guy at the music store for the next best thing, he recommended the Sure SM-58, stating it's 45 year old technology and that no one has come close to reproducing it, he also said, turn on MTV, Funny every band I saw live was using the Sure SM-58. This was all the info I needed to make a decision on what mic to purchase. I recently ran across a great deal on a Sure SM-7, It really has a great sound.
WWPDX MEMBER

thanks

Post by 2388 »

Thanks for the reply this audio stuff is a pain to figure out.
I've heard your station Rickety Bones it's one of the best soundin ones on the radio!
Rickety Bones
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Rickety Bones »

WOW,
Thank you very much !
The hardest part of learning the audio ( Hi-Fi ) stuff is FORGETTING all of the CB stuff I have learned over the past 25 years.

Once I was able to do that it all became very easy.

Thanks again for the flowers !!!!!
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 359 »

Do they make a shock mount for the SM-58?
Rickety Bones
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by Rickety Bones »

absolutely, if your music store does not carry one , try google search for broadcasting supply store.

Hope this helps,
unless you sound like mickey mouse, you will love the SM-58, I will guarantee it !!!!

My customers I sell to try to get me to give them a discount and not ship the sm-58, they tell me "I have a 875 dollar phantom power mic that was used by jimmy Hendricks blha blha blha..." usually about a month later they call back and say, " MAN THESE SM58S WORK GOOD... "

talk to ya latter
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 359 »

Sure enough, A55M is the number for the shock mount. The 5/8" thread screws onto most booms, like the Heil etc.

I'm going to have to try one, lol
WWPDX MEMBER

Post by 359 »

I just watched 6 or 7 expire on EBay. A used SM-58 can be had for $50-$60. I'll try one eventually for that price. The shock mount retails for something like $50, but can be had for $25 or so.

Return to “Microphones & Mic Wiring”